This class provides a practical understanding and the skills required to properly design, install, and maintain fiber optic networks. The four-day class comprises 16 hours of classroom lecture combined with 16 hours of hands-on time in a lab setting.
Content is applicable for fiber optic communications systems in Telco, Broadband, and Premises (LAN) applications. Students will use the latest fiber optic technology and equipment to learn how to splice, connectorize, test, and troubleshoot fiber optic networks. Skills gained enable the student to increase efficiency, reliability and on-the-job safety as well as reduce cost and downtime.
Introductory to intermediate. Beginners to experienced fiber optic technicians find the class and extensive hands on skills training beneficial.
Two days of classroom lecture, followed by two days of hands-on skills training.
- Discussion of course content
- Review of course objectives
- The History of Fiber Optics
- Fiber applications
- Benefits of fiber
- Deployment of hybrid fiber/conventional cable networks
- Theory and Principles of Fiber Transmission
- Properties of light
- Fiber transmission light sources
- The electromagnetic spectrum
- Transmission frequencies
- Understanding refraction and reflection
- Construction and Fiber Classifications
- Fiber optic cable construction
- Classification of fiber types and uses
- Multimode Step Index (MMSI)
- Multimode Graded Index (MMGI)
- Singlemode Step Index (SMSI)
- Fiber core sizes and characteristics
- Numerical aperture
- Selecting correct fiber for the job
- The importance of propagation
- The effects of dispersion on a fiber loop and dispersion types
- What Affects Fiber Performance
- What is attenuation in a fiber installation
- Measuring attenuation
- Establishing preventive maintenance plans
- Design of Fiber Loops and Systems
- Identify basic components of a fiber optic loop
- Power Budget Calculations
- Power Budget Calculation exercises
- Review and Examination Standards
- Course objectives review
- Written examination
For any additional information about Fiber Optic Training please contact our office at (758)452-7999.